VILLAGE OF GROSSE TETE
Grosse Tete is perhaps the most familiar municipality of north Iberville because it is named after Bayou Grosse Tete – the bayou that winds through much of north Iberville. With an exit ramp off Interstate 10 veering right into Grosse Tete, it is also the first community to greet motorists in north Iberville. It will also be the home of the parish’s visitor center to be constructed just off the exit ramp on a lot featuring seven huge live oak trees.
The village was originally incorporated in 1906, but dissolved a few years later. It was re-incorporated in 1952, and includes a two-mile stretch of homes and businesses along Bayou Grosse Tete.
Legend has it that the bayou’s name, which means “big head” in French, was derived from a big-headed Choctaw Indian who lived and hunted in the area when it was first settled by Acadians. It is a beautiful community of majestic live oaks, green pastures with rustic fences, and the grace of the bayou.
While it is a small community, it has been progressive in providing services for its residents. It provides sewer and water services, sidewalks and street lighting, parks and a progressive fire department. Grosse Tete village hall can be reached by calling 225-648-2131.